As President Barack Obama’s time in office comes to an end, let’s take a wonderful, memorable trip down memory lane. Because of all the bickering and sometimes childish behavior that took place in congress over his two terms, often times the major contributions of the Obama administration have been over looked.
The goal of Ethnic Online is to help you remember and appreciate some of the major contributions of the 44th President and first African American President has brokered for the benefit of not just Americans in the US, but the global affect felt around the world!
Do you remember?
- Obamacare – “Affordable Care Act”: Think about it: Coverage for over 30 million Americans, you can’t be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions, young adults can stay on their parents plan until the age 26 just to name a few. Healthcare means a better quality and sometimes and extension of LIFE!
- Auto Industry Bailout: If there is one city, and one state, where President Obama should feel welcome, it’s Detroit and Michigan. The decision to bail out General Motors and Chrysler, and aid their financing subsidiaries and suppliers through loan guarantees in 2009 in the teeth of the economic meltdown that gripped world markets, was hotly debated at the time and since. But given the 640,000 auto industry jobs created since then and the record a sale by the industry in 2015, the President has room to grow. Think about how many families can continue to eat and care for their families!
- Bin Laden & Whitey Bulger – World’s Number 1 & 2 enemies captured: No need to elaborate on this as history speaks for itself. After Bin Laden took responsibility for 9/11 over 17 years ago, the hunt was on for Bin Laden and under the razor focus leadership of President Obama, mission accomplished! Gangster Whitey Bulger, every crime you can think of he committed, including murder, loan sharking and playing the FBI like a fiddle for over 16 years, file under: CAPTURED!
- The Economy: Businesses, according to the president, have “added 13.7 million new jobs over a 69-month streak of job growth.” Obama also cited the latest unemployment rate figures — in October, it fell to 5 percent and has remained at that level since — as proof of a strong economy. UNPRECEDENTED!
- US – Cuba Relations: In August, the U.S.reopened its embassy in Cuba, the first symbolic step to normalizing relations between the two countries and the first time the American flag has flown in Havana in 54 years. Since that momentous occasion, the administration has taken further steps to make it easier to travel and do business in Cuba. “We turned the page on an outdated, half-century-old policy by re-establishing diplomatic relations with Cuba and reopening embassies in both our countries, allowing us to build greater ties between Americans and Cubans,” Mr. Obama said. CUBAN STOGIES!
- The Trans-Specific Partnership: President Obama’s legacy-defining trade deal involving 12 Pacific Rim countries was sealed, with provisions to cut trade barriers, protect labor and environmental interests and ensure intellectual property rights. The president called the Trans-Pacific Partnership the “strongest, most pro-worker, pro-environment trade agreement in our history.” US FUTURE STRENGHTENED!
- Legalization of same sex marriage: “Love won” the president said, referring to the Supreme Court’s landmark 5-4 decision that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry. “No matter who you are, here in America, you’re free to marry the person you love because the freedom to marry is now the law in all 50 states.” IT’S A NEW DAY!
- Stimulus: The stimulus could have done more good had it been bigger and more carefully constructed. But put simply, it prevented a second recession that could have turned into a depression. It created or saved an average of 1.6 million jobs a year for four years. It raised the nation’s economic output by 2 to 3 percent from 2009 to 2011. It prevented a significant increase in poverty — without it, 5.3 million additional people would have become poor in 2010. JUMP STARTED
- Strengthen & Galvanized Blacks: Being part of and seeing history being made with President Obama being sworn in as the first African American President instilled an incredible amount of pride, hope and motivation for the average black person. All of the sudden nothing was impossible or non-attainable because of what President Obama accomplished. Today you see more black business owners, more black students attending and graduating from college, more black entrepreneurs, more blacks determined to achieve as never before. INSPIRED!
- Balancing Family & Work: How often have we seen genuine photos of President Obama, Michelle, Malia & Sasha in family outings smiling and enjoying time with each other? Often times the hustle and bustle of life leaves family time on the bottom of the totem pole, but the President and Michelle have not only shown us over the past 8 years, but reminded us of how precious and important it is to value family time. MARTHA’S VINEYARD!
These are the top 10 as seen by Ethnic Online, we are sure there are others that you might feel may have been more impactful and that’s great, please feel free to share your thoughts!
I encourage and challenge all of my Ethnic Online readers and supporters to never forget the history that was made 8 years ago and use these accomplishments as a source of motivation for all of us to stay focused, appreciative and most of all grateful for being part the amazing history as architected by President Barack Obama!
THANK YOU PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS!